Cuttings - lovely free plants!

 Big thanks to my generous neighbour, Verity, who shares her tips for taking cuttings.


What?
I’ve been taking cuttings from big and small-flowered Salvia, Rosemary, Lavandula Stoechas (tender), Penstemons and Pinks.

What in?
I make a mix of John Innes No 4 & Perlite 50/50 and wet it all/let drain in a 6” pot first. Terracotta or re-used plastic.

How?
Look for new upward growing shoots with no woody stem or flower on tip. Snip 4”/6” lengths off 1” below a pair of leaves. Pop in plastic bag while choosing 5 per pot. 
In greenhouse, snip horizontally just below leaf joint, strip off leaves from joint & dip in rooting hormone. Make little hole close to edge of pot with bit of cane, pop in & firm. 
Do 5 around rim of pot leaving centre clear if poss.

I don’t cover or use a propagator. I just water when they feel dry on the surface by dropping small amount into centre of pot avoiding making cuttings wet. If very cold I may move them inside to windowsill but usually not necessary if in greenhouse.

Label!

NB: I reduce rest of leaves up stem halving big leaves to reduce demands on plant while rooting.

It is just my way but it seems to work!


Thanks, Verity! 

Here's what I can add

I recently repotted a potbound hydrangea and discovered that near the base of the main stem there were lots of little babies, already rooted. I probably had 20 babies off that one plant. 

I also took cuttings from an aucuba (below right) and a daphne (below left), using similar method to Verity's but probably less professional, and they all seem to be healthy.


And below are two sorts of sorrel (lemon/ French and wild wood) which simply won't stop growing. I keep splitting them and replanting. They make sensational salsa verde!

Thanks to Verity's tip, I've also done some penstemon today, having only ever split them before, never taken cuttings. And my salvia have been amazing at sending up new rooted shoots so I haven't had to take cuttings.

Our gardening group is planning a socially-distanced plant swap for November so Verity and I are getting ahead. There's a challenge for everyone else! Alternatively, everyone can just come and load up with freebies. Gardeners love to give! We also love a free plant, a gift from nature.

Do send me your favourite propagating tips.

Comments