Heritage (wonky) vegetables and positive body image

Writing a book about body image recently made me think of my wonky vegetables. Bear with me.

If vegetables had human brains they'd have a terrible body image these days. Only the "perfect" ones are considered worthy for sale in most shops. The rest are viewed as inferior and discarded for pulping or any kind of production system that means no one has to witness their so-called imperfections. Their internal beauty - in other words, taste and nutritional value - is seen as less important than that they confirm to a perfect image of size, shape and weight. Not so unlike humans.

My vegetables, however, have great body image. I encourage them to ignore their shape and get on with being healthy and producing the best tastes, smells and nutrition. Those qualities are what food is for, not having a particular size and shape.

I happen to think they all look great anyway. It's veg positivity.

I also appreciate that my veg have other skills. Here, you can see my carrots doing excellent impressions of a boot, a strawberry and a mermaid. You can't say that of your bog standard supermarket template carrot.












This gherkin is proud of being basically a fat cucumber


And I embrace this non-binary courgette (I don't literally embrace it - that would be weird - though I have been known to stroke my vegetables when they do a particularly good job)

As for these heritage marmande tomatoes, I am saying absolutely nothing...

Comments